• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland
  • FAQ





    Q: My grandfather/grandmother was born in Poland and came to live in Israel. Can I receive a Polish passport?


    Answer: In order to receive Polish passport it is necessary first to confirm the Polish citizenship of the applicant. According to the Polish Citizenship Act - 2012, a child acquires Polish citizenship on the date of his/her birth if at least one of his/her parents was a Polish citizen on the date of the child's birth. Should the applicant wish to confirm his/her Polish citizenship, the Polish citizenship of one of his/her parents on the date of applicant's birth has to be confirmed first. Sometimes it may be necessary to confirm the citizenship of a deceased parent to ascertain that the applicant's parent was a Polish citizen on the date of the applicant's birth.


    Proper procedure for grandchildren of people whose grandparents came to Israel is the procedure of Confirmation of Polish Citizenship (SEE. CITIZENSHIP. CONFIRMATION OF POLISH CITIZENSHIP)


    Please take note that confirmation of Polish citizenship it is a necessary first, but not the last step in order to apply for a Polish passport as civil status certificates (birth and – if relevant – marriage certificates) registered by Polish Registry Offices are required as well.


    In order to apply for birth, marriage, or death certificates of people who were born, got married or deceased in Poland and their birth, marriage or death have been already registered in Poland SEE.OBTAINING CERTIFICATES FROM POLAND.


    In order to receive Polish birth, marriage, or death certificates of people with Polish citizenship who were born, got married or deceased outside of Poland, it is necessary to register the relevant foreign certificate in Poland SEE.REGISTRATION OF FOREIGN CERTIFICATES IN POLAND.


    For the procedure of obtaining Polish passport see PASSPORT



    Q: My grandparents were born in Poland – where can I get more information about them?


    Answer: Please note that the Consular Section of the Embassy of Poland in Tel Aviv does not assist in any genealogical research.


    According to Polish law, the documents referring to citizenship and civil registry are being kept for the period of 100 years in Polish Registry Offices. After the completion of this period the documents are being transferred to the regional archives. You can check the list of Polish Registry Offices HERE. Please take note that descendants have a right to obtain certificates of their ancestors from the registry but it may be required to prove the factual relation between the applicant and the person whose documents are being requested.


    Please be informed that due to the war devastation, some of documentation was destroyed or lost, therefore in some cases it can be impossible to restore the certificates.


    In case of the territories of the Republic of Poland annexed to the USSR after 1944 the files are stored in the Civil Registry Office Warszawa-Śródmieście, and after 100 years since their issuance, they are gradually taken over by the Central Archives of Historical Records. Please see the record books of the communes of the Jewish faith from the territories mentioned for years 1789-1943. The list of complimentary records located in different archives in Warsaw and in Ukraine is provided on the website. Please check also the database “PRADZIAD” (pol. for “great grandparent”) of the Superior Directorate of State Archives.


    In the search for the information on the ancestors born in Poland might be helpful Jewish Historical Insitute based in Warsaw which is a research institution, also conducting genealogical work, having its own archives and libraries. Museum of Polish Jews – Polin also provides the resources for genealogical and historical research. Online you can find valuable information on Jewish towns and their inhabitants, including uploaded documentation, on the Virtual Shtetl website. Take note that Yad Vashem Institute might be of help as well, as your ancestors might give their testimonies upon their arrival to Israel.


    In case of the ancestors who migrated from Poland to Israel before or during the World War II, please note that their documentation might be stored by the Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum in London.



    Q: I have a confirmation of Polish citizenship, but I was born in Israel - how can I receive a Polish birth certificate?


    Answer: In order to apply for Polish passport, it is necessary to possess Polish birth and – if relevant – marriage certificate. People who were born or got married abroad can register their foreign birth and marriage certificates in Polish Registry Office personally, by means of an authorized third person or through the Consular Section. As a result, they will obtain Polish certificates. You can check the list of Polish Registry Offices HERE.


    Please find more information on the procedure and documents required in the section on registration of foreign certificates in Poland.



    Q: I would like to submit my application in the Embassy – how can I make an appointment?


    Answer: In order to file your application in the Embassy, please go to the website to register your appointment in advance, according to the purpose of your visit: passport, legal matters or visa application.


    Please take note that it is not possible to register an appointment in any other way (i.e. by phone, by email, by fax etc.) – only online applications registered on the website result in an appointment.


    The registration is opened every Tuesday at 08.00 (Israeli time) am five weeks beforehand the appointment (meaning: if the registration is opened in the first week of January, the appointments available in the system are for the mid-February, registration in the second week of January – appointment in the second half of February etc.). Registration is open till all the available appointments are filled up by the applicants and will be opened again on next Tuesday at 8 am. In case if applicants cancel their appointment, it automatically comes back to the system and it is again available for registration. For that reason it is worthwhile to check the website in-between Tuesdays as cancelled appointments might reappear in the system.


    Please check the instruction on registering appointments.  



    Q: I would like to apply for a Polish passport for my minor child – do I need to come with him/her? Do I need to come with a father/mother of a child who is not a Polish citizen?


    Answer: Both parents, regardless of their citizenship, have to be present when submitting the application for a passport on behalf of their child, unless one of the parents has been deprived, by the decision of a Polish court, of his/her parental authority or this authority has been limited. In case there is no consent between the parents or when it is not possible to obtain consent from one of them, a Polish family court's decision replaces that consent for issuing a passport.  Judgments of foreign courts that settle the above issues can only be considered when they have been recognized by relevant Polish courts. 


    In the event of the death of one of the parents, it is necessary to provide an original death certificate with apostille.


    An application submitted by one of the parents together with a written consent of the other parent with his/her signature that has been confirmed by a Notary Public or by a passport authority (voivode in Poland or Polish consul abroad) is considered as if it had been submitted by both parents. The child's parent who is submitting a passport application should show his/her valid Polish passport. 


    When parents submit a passport application for their child who is 5 years old or older, the child's presence is required.


    For more information on passports for minors please check HERE.



    Q: I am a holder of both Israeli and Polish citizenships and I am planning a travel to Poland – are there any regulations which passport I should present on Polish border?


    Answer: Every Polish citizen, regardless of the fact of having or not a double citizenship, in any contact with Polish authorities is treated as a Polish citizen, therefore shall present his/her Polish passport on the border control in Poland. Please get acquainted with the information available at the website of Polish Border Guard.



    Q: I am planning my trip to Poland and I realized that my Polish passport will expire very soon / has already expired – can I still travel to Poland?


    Answer: Every Polish citizen has a right to enter Poland on the basis of the Polish passport, even if the passport is about to expire or has already expired. However please take note that in order to travel to other countries (including the Schengen zone) or to leave Poland you will need to obtain a new, valid Polish passport. The competent bodies dealing with passports in Poland are a voivodship offices (urzędy wojewódzkie) i.e. regional authority offices. You can find the list of the voivodship offices HERE. It is highly recommended to contact the office prior to your planned visit in order to clarify the terms of the submission of the documents for a new passport (i.e. registration, required documents, possibility of express procedure etc.).



    Q: What is a PESEL numer?


    Answer: PESEL is the register which is used to collect basic information identifying the identity and administrative and legal status of Polish citizens and foreigners residing in the Republic of Poland. Polish citizens residing outside of Poland get a PESEL number assigned to them in connection with applying for the first Polish passport.






    Q: I am planning my trip to Poland and I realized that my Israeli passport will expire in a few months – can I travel to Poland on this passport?


    Answer: A passport needs to be valid for at least 3 months since the day of planned departure from Poland/Schengen zone.



    Q: Due to medical reasons I use so-called “medical marihuana” prescribed by a doctor in Israel – can I bring it with me to Poland?


    Answer: According to Polish law each person can bring five smallest packs of medicinal product for the patient’s own therapeutic purposes. This is the limit which doesn’t require additional consent of the President of the Office for Registration of Medicinal Products, Medical Devices and Biocidal Products.


    However, above mentioned rules do not apply to narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances. In accordance with the regulations issued by the Minister of Health - sick persons and those who use substantive therapy, who cross Polish borders may carry the narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances that are necessary for their medical treatment provided that in the case of checks they produce a certificate issued or authenticated by the competent authorities of their State of residence in accordance with art. 75 of the Convention implementing the Schengen Agreement of 14 June 1985 between the Governments of the States of the Benelux Economic Union, the Federal Republic of Germany and the French Republic on the gradual abolition of checks at their common borders.


    The template of the certificate can be found HERE. Please ask your doctor about specific requirements who in Israel is responsible for authorizing such document.


    Please note that for each of the narcotic drug or psychotropic substance separate certificate is required.


    You will find more detailed information about this topic under the following link:,Informacja-dla-podroznych-sprawie-przewozu-srodkow-odurzajacych-i-substancji-psy.html.


    In case or further questions please contact the Chief Pharmaceutical Inspectorate:

    Print Print Share: